Question by Austin: What program can I use to create a searchable database for my website?
I work for a company that sell auto parts, and we’re looking into creating a website for selling out products. I have looked around at many, many different websites that sell auto parts, and determined that I really don’t love the way most of them work. So while we’re still considering hiring someone to create the structure of the site for us, I’m now considering the possibility that I might have to do a lot of the work myself I am going to get it how I want it.
The main issue we have is that we need to be able to have a database of all of our parts that can be searched on the website. A search bar would be good, but more than that we need to have it so that customers can select Make > Model > Year > Engine type, etc., and have the site tell them what part or parts they need. They could then order the part from there.
Thing is, I’m a design guy, not a database guy. I don’t know how that kind of thing works. I assume there’s some software out there that would make it easier…something that would let me input the make, model, year, etc. of each part so the look-up feature could reference that. But I know nothing about it. I can build a website out of a blank notebook file, but this kinda thing is beyond me.
Any answers would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Answer by gaiacarra
Databases these days are usually accessed using the SQL querying language.
SELECT Part FROM Parts WHERE Price < 50, that sort of thing -- I don't really know SQL.
But yeah if you can set up an SQL compliant database then designing system that access it should be straightforward.
Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!
- If you use Access to create a database, and a web form for input is it easy to host it on a website?
- Where do I begin when trying to create a database? I What is my very 1st step?
- Q&A: Where do I begin when trying to create a database? I What is my very 1st step?
- Q&A: I am looking to create a database without learning code, Is the software at Dbqwiksite.com safe or trusted?
- Q&A: Any ideas for creating a website for a database?